Sunday, July 22, 2007

Encouragement

I have nothing much to say on this topic found in Hebrews 3, so I'll just relate some of the things that has encouraged me in the past, and hope you find strength in what I learnt along my journey =)

When I once evaluated the order of the intellectual sector of my private world, I thankfully came to see that a few natural gifts or a few years of education were never going to make me the man God wanted to use in any part of the world where He wanted me to do work. If I was going to endure and become useful to the level of my potential, it would not be because I was talented or degreed, but because I had learned to take the muscles of my mind and work them into shape. (Chap 8, Ordering Your Private World, Gordon MacDonald)


I used to have a very, very wrong perception when I read this part of the book. Last time, I came away from reading the book at ease, because it sort of gave me the 'permission' or the 'it's all right' for the exam results I got during secondary school (hmm, the results were fine I guess, but not up to my standards, this aspect gave me many a disappointment before). But after reading it again recently (within the past 6 months), I realised what a HUGE misconception I had made out of the paragraph. The author was stressing on the necessity of possessing an actively-thinking mind, and I was making my own emphasis on "it's not necessary to be talented or degreed to make your way in life".

Anyway, to cut it short, the paragraph (and some chapters in the book along the same line of thought) encouraged me to start pursuing/engaging in deeper, more honest conversations about the things that happen around me. It stoked the fire to pursue my quest for depth (plus some other events that occured along the way). For me, beginning this quest has enriched my thought life, especially.

There have been many people who have encouraged me, too. One in particular (which is the only example I'll mention today) helped push me to do things in a manner I would not normally use (direct and straightforward). What I mean is that friends do give that little push to become a part of ourselves that we dare not become. It may be a little painful, because it breaches on new ground, and possibly not enough tact was employed in the process. But however the method, God does use the negative and positive events of our lives to mould us into His likeness.

The word 'encouragement' in Hebrews 3 refers to an act in which the hearts of believers are prevented from being hardened by sin's deceitfulness. How can we encourage one another Today?

No comments: